Division 21 students are studying Star Wars characters, as part of our French Language Arts program. To practice their spoken French, they have been divided in groups of three and are now getting ready to present an interview. One student volunteered to take on the interviewer role while the other two students will become different Star Wars characters.
To prepare for the interview, we did the following:
- Viewing of episode IV (in French, with English subtitles)
- Note taking – at different parts of the movie – describing the personality of the characters, giving specific examples from the story
- Brainstorming in small groups – we used post-it notes and created large posters for future reference (see picture below)
- Writing about their characters, from the 3rd person point of view (interviewers aren’t doing this but are in charge of writing an introduction and a conclusion to their show)
- Learning new vocabulary – here’s the link to another Quizlet I created this weekend. La Guerre des étoiles – Quizlet
Costumes & Interview Times
Some students mentioned wanting to make their own costumes. I found a lot of great ideas online so feel free to refer to the links below. Please note that full costumes aren’t necessary. Also, costumes must remain simple and should not require you to purchase anything.
Here are some websites I found that may come as an inspiration. On Friday, I will offer a 45 minute period for them to work on it, if needed.
Filming the interviews will begin on Monday, Tuesday and Friday of next week. If things go as planned, we will be viewing our interviews on May 4th.
Did you know that in French, Darth Vader is called Dark Vador? As the “th” sound doesn’t exist in French, and the “er” sound is pronounced as “é”, they needed to change the spelling of his name to ensure proper pronunciation.
Have a great evening,